[ale] pppoe router recommendations

Klepinger, Aaron Aaron.Klepinger at CompuCredit.com
Tue Jan 21 09:45:53 EST 2003

ClarkConnect works great for me.  Have had to stop and start CUPS service in
the past, but PPPoE is rock solid.  I also have used a Linksys BEFSR41
(version 1) since Jan. 2000.  I had some problems with the BEFSR41 locking
up and wanted more functionality, so switched to the ClarkConnect.  Haven't
had any problems since.

Never did get the ddclient working, but I know next to nothing about Linux.
I couldn't figure out the config file.  The comments were cryptic to me.
However, cron sends my IP every 2 minutes to ZoneEdit, though, which works
good enough.

www.clarkconnect.org
Standard version (no VPN or content/virus filtering) is free.  Office costs
~$150

-aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: David Corbin [mailto:dcorbin at machturtle.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 5:41 PM
To: ale at ale.org
Subject: [ale] pppoe router recommendations

I used to have bellsouth DSL, using my linux firewall and pppoe.  I got
it working though I have to admit it seemed a little odd.  But I had
real reliability problems -  something would die somewhere, and
eventually, the pppoe daemon would die.  And I'd restart it by hand.
Eventually, I built a fairly ugly conglomeration of scripts to try to
keep things running smoothly.

Now, thanks to DirectTV, I'm going to go back to Bellsouth for DSL
service. I plan on buying an inexpensive router that will handle the
pppoe crap for me.  (this will also give me a real DMZ, instead of a
pretend one I have now).  The question is, what brand/model do you
recommend?  I'd definately like something that works with ddclient,
efficiently....

David

information that is intended only for use by the named recipient.
If you are not the named recipient, any disclosure, dissemination,
or action based on the contents of this message is prohibited.
In such case please notify us and destroy and delete all copies
of this transmission.  Thank you.