[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 20 12:47:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 12:29, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> Not to pick nits, but last I heard, Darwinian priciples had nothing to say
> about "stupid", but a great deal to say about leaving offspring. Of
> course, if you would like to argue that insects _must_ be more intelegent
> than human beings because there are more insects alive than humans, I'll
> try to listen in polite amazement.

I should have put stupid in quotes. As Darwin discusses the requisite
needs for increasing adaptation involving choice and intelligence, the
non-adaptation of a species thus directly implies stupid. My apologies
for failing to make a colloquial interpretation clear.

> Actually, there are probably many situations where "stupid" is smarter
> than "smart". Some forms of combat, where blindly following orders is a
> better policy (on average) than thinking about them come to mind.

I would argue that the need for more intelligence in that situation was
required BEFORE the combat began. But there are also some good arguments
that "combat reflex" is a learned behavior. So the "blindly following
orders" is an intelligent behavior. Also, bear in mind that the combat
soldier, while still a physical individual, is trained to be pat of a
large organism. That soldier, when trained, has the designed in
intelligence similar to the reflex action of jerking the hand away from
a hot stove in a time interval less than the complete signal
transmission time of nerves in hand to brain and back to muscles in arm.

 This is a digitally signed message part