[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 20 12:43:43 EST 2003

all,

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 11:54, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 03:24, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > I have a hard time understanding the opinion you have. I just don't get it.
> > Why not have the default a recycle bin to protect people from their mistakes?
> > What are the costs?

	Hmm.  I was having a little trouble with my internet connection over
the weekend, so I'm just now jumping in.  We seem to have strayed apart
from the original question, but I'll offer my two cents anyway.

	Here's what I have: an ext3 fs as a "magic number" of 0xef53 at offset
0x438.  So, here's another stab at the problem:

	Copy the 4 gigs or so that have the actual data info to a file you can
play with.  This also protects the original.  Write a small program that
reads 1024 byte blocks at a time, and search for that magic number at
offset 56 (decimal) in that block.  When found, you'll need that block
less one.  Copy those blocks into another file.  You should be able to
mount that file via the loop interface.  Perhaps then you'll see some
files, perhaps not.  At any rate, you can play with the copies as much
as you wish, while still protecting the original.

	Perl may suffice for this, but I'd use C.  But that's just me ;-).

	Hope this helps!

Danny