[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sun Jan 19 20:43:14 EST 2003

1. Your position is that "e2undel -d /dev/hda -s path -a -t" and that short
list of directions that you gave is "easy" to understand and use?

My position is that e2undel is NOT easy to use for most computer users.
Moreover, the program should be easy to use for someone with your mastery -
regardless of how many files are being undeleted, or their location LIKE the
competition's software. You had to write a short list to communicate to me
"kindof" what that command is saying - and I still can't understand it
without futher study. I do understand clicking icons (except when it comes to
emacs - will someone please help me understand that program so I don't feel
soooo incompetent) :).
It sounds like you would also say "lynx" is as easy to use as "galeon."

2. You assert that it is the user's (or hardware's) fault that the data was
deleted?

My position is that opinion is irrelevant. Software that's PURPOSE is to
undelete should be easy to use by most computer users and work well.

"Back up the data correctly and you will never have to use this confusing
software (with four attributes and no GUI) that a software *programmer* can't
easily use without any help."

I believe the day will come where undeleting data on Linux partitions will be
as easy as it is in FAT32/FAT16 Windows. The position of "let the user suffer
for their mistake of having to use the software" will (and should be)
eliminated.

Desktop computers should be user friendly and somewhat forgiving.
The trend is that Linux, got a GUI and is becoming more user friendly.

Drew

P.S. I understand that you and other Linux users may never accept my position
or the trend of user friendliness when it comes to data recovery. I write to
clarify - not to argue against Linux or support Windows, and I have nothing
further to add.

--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown