[ale] Trojan mpg123 alert

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 16 07:58:41 EST 2003

Marvin Dickens wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 04:28, Stephen F Nicholas wrote:
>
>>Marvin,
>>Exactly the point I was trying to make !!  I still see it sometimes on the
>>list though.
>>
>>Steve
>

> Now that I think about it, I suppose there are some people out there who
> cannot figure out how to set up permissions to resources so that lowly
> non root users can utilize the resources of a machine. At the same time,
> it also seems to me that if your intelligent enough to load Linux and
> get it 75% functional, your just plain lazy if you can't get the
> permissions right on system resources.

Hmmm, my 11 year old daughter installed Linux on her box (with me
watching over her shoulder), but I would not count on her to NOT use the
root login for such purposes without explicitly telling her.  <parental
brag> Then again, she's not your average 11 year old, as she's reading
at post high school level </parental brag>.

It's not always laziness, but often times just ignorance.  Folks used to
the Windows approach don't have a good understanding of the issues.

Also, I recall that one of the Java plugins requires root to install it
properly, and that's done from a browser.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...