[ale] Weird SCSI Drive Compatibility Issue

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Wed Jan 15 18:19:18 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 03:51, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I recently picked up an Adaptec AHA-2940UW/B Ultra Wide card and I've
> connected a CD-RW drive and a 4,2GB Seagate ST15230WC Fast Wide drive

> The CD-RW drive appears to work fine and the drive has worked fine
> before connected to the machine's built-in narrow SCSI controller.  I
> believe that I have termination all squared away and I have set the
> AHA-2940UW/B to a max rate of 20MB/s as per the specs of the ST15230WC
> drive.

> The problem I'm having is that after the Gentoo CD boots and lands me at
> a shell prompt, fdisk /dev/sdb (the ST15230WC) shows me a 32MB drive -
> CHS = 31,64,32.  When fdisk starts, it does say "Warning:  Invalid flag
> 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite).

On that drive, if you set the jumpers incorrectly, it shows up with
strange geometry. If that's not the problem, try formating the drive.
Other than that, early versions of the 2940uw had buggy code. You might
want to check the firmware version and upgrade the code (If it's old).

Hope this helps...

Best

Marvin Dickens