[ale] SSH3.1.0 scp failure (a mystery to me)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 15 11:28:17 EST 2003

Dow,

In retrospect, (it's been 3+ years) I may have compiled SSH with gcc on
Irix. I had one machine, an Indy, that I used as my test bed box. It was
loaded up with everything that would run on it. The other SGI's were not
as blessed in the hard drive size so the libraries and compiler
selection was much smaller. It is quite likely that I compiled using gcc
on my Indy and then tried to migrate to a "lesser" environment. That
would certainly explain the the bad times I had.

That said, you indicated you had a binary compiled with 6.5.3m running
on a 6.5.6-17 system. That should pose no problem as the
backward-compatibility is preserved. But if it were compiled on the
6.5.6-17 and run on the the 6.5.3m, I would anticipate some issues
depending on library calls.

I don't anticipate seeing problem like that for a while as I have only 2
SGI's (Octane dual cpu and dual gpu, and Indigo2 Impact 10000) both
running the same system.

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 11:16, Dow Hurst wrote:
> James,
> If you were using SGI's cc then I am not sure what happened to you.
> I've got a version 2.0.13 compiled under 6.5.3m that is running
> successfully on 6.5.6-17 with no problems.  It was only when I moved to
> the 3.1.x series of ssh.com's package that I had this problem.  I've
> only used OpenSSH once for a specific purpose.  However, when compiled
> under 6.5.3, that compilation is running on 6.5.17 right now.  So, I am
> not sure why you've seen what you've seen.  I can say this about most
> packages when compiling under IRIX:
>
> You usually have better luck with SGI's cc than gcc unless you use gmake
> instead of SGI's make.
>
> I know getting the SANE and XSANE packages to compile and actually work
> was an unbelievable headache for me.  I couldn't use SGI's cc or make
> together nor GCC and gmake.  Only SGI's cc and gmake together ended up
> working.
>
> Now, I haven't moved the 3.2.2 package to the O2's yet.  I was working
> on two Origins for my test.
> Dow
>

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> >Dow,
> >
> >I never had any success getting any version of ssh to be compiled on
> >Irix version A then run on Irix version B. In theory, a 6.5.9
> >compilation _should_ run on a 6.5.10, but I never saw that actually work
> >right. It does seem to be particularly ssh and not other apps. Samba was
> >no problem to move around (within 6.5.x releases).
> >
> >On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 14:21, Dow Hurst wrote:
> >

> >>It's occurred to me that I compiled under IRIX 6.5.3 and am installing
> >>the binaries on IRIX 6.5.11m or IRIX 6.5.12f where the failures are
> >>occurring.  Also, looking back in the configure output from that
> >>compile, some strange messages were produced.  So, I am recompiling
> >>now.  Not getting those errors, either.  So hold off on helping me until
> >>I can repost with the results of this recompilation and testing.  The
> >>machine I compiled on lost it's disk, so it is rebuilt.  I was using the
> >>ssh install on that machine and one other for my new ssh installs.
> >>Probably a mistake I hadn't caught until now since I have a mix of old
> >>and new ssh servers and clients.  Thanks,
> >>Dow

 This is a digitally signed message part