[ale] exporting a screen

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Jan 3 02:16:39 EST 2003

I open a session with Ctrl+Alt+F1 on machine2
I start a long process that exports the results to the screen.
I turn off the monitor to machine2.
I am sitting at machine1 and want to see what is on the screen of machine2
using machine1's monitor.

How do I do that?
How do I see the screen for Ctrl+Atl+F2?

Here are directions for automating the process, but I have not been able to
get this to work (without the automation) yet.

Drew

> I'm getting tired of typing "export DISPLAY="ip:0.0" every time I export my
> display variable to my Windows machine.  What file stores this display
> variable and can I change it so every time I login through telnet the
> variable is already exported.
>
> I know, I'm lazy.  But computers were meant to automate redundant tasks.

You can put it in your ~/.profile.  I do this, but it only works if you're
logging in from the same IP all the time.  I suppose you could write a little
shell script to do it.
.profile:

exec set-display.sh
set-display.sh:

#!/bin/sh

echo Enter the IP you've logged in from:
read IP
export DISPLAY="$IP:0.0"