[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Matt Kern mattkern at speakeasy.net
Thu Jan 2 16:37:04 EST 2003

Matt Kern wrote:

> cfowler wrote:
>
>> Right now I see 2 options:
>>
>> Speakeasy and Speedfactory.  The only difference is that Speakeast gives
>> us equipment free and not Speedfactory.  Any suggestions on what to do?

> I placed an order with speakeasy on Dec 21.  It was supposed to be a
> "hot swap" (not that thats technically possible with DSL service
> anyhow, but thats another matter altogether).  I still haven't
> received a loop install date.  Speakeasy blames it on Covad...said
> they needed a little kick to get the order moving.  So far, I'm
> impressed with the knowledge of the people on the other end of the
> phone line, but execution is SERIOUSLY lacking at the moment.  On top
> of this, DTV dropped my connection on the 17th, so I've been in
> dial-up hell since.
>
> Just to clear up what is being offered at Speakeasy, since several of
> the posts thus far have had differing info:
>    - 1.5Mbits/128Kbits
>    - Unlimited dial up
>    - 5 email accounts (and aliases for each if you'd like)
>    - 1 static ip (additional ip's up to 5 can be purchased for
> $2.95/month).
>    - WiFi sharing, home networking and server friendly TOS.
>    - No activation charge and $199 rebate on hardware (effectively
> zeroing out the cost of the hw).
>
> Also note that DNS is not provided with the package.  They also offer
> an RPMfind server dedicated only to subscribers, and given the TOS you
> could upgrade to the 1.5/768 package for 99 bucks and share it via
> wifi with your neighbors and split the cost.
>
> Now, all that said...I'm not particluarly happy with my run-around in
> getting my dsl back online.  So, at this point they're walking a very
> fine line, and I may cancel for another subscriber at any time.  Ah,
> thats one more negative...a 1 year contract with a $300 cancellation
> fee.  From what I've seen on SpeedFactory, its $150 if you cancel.
>
> Outside Speakeasy and SpeedFactory our options suck...HellSouth and
> Adelphia ( in my neck 'o the woods).  Though Adelphia is in Chapter 11
> protection, they are offering a very attractive price (though in most
> cases you get what you pay for, just ask an Adelphia tech what thier
> throughput is...they're just powercycle drones).  They're offering
> their powerlink cable network and Digital Basic cable tv, along with
> 14 channels of HBO for 39.95 for the first three months, and 77.95
> thereafter.  Tough to pass up, but I've been a customer of theirs in
> the past, and have no desire to go back...even at cut rate pricing.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> /mk

Oh, yeah.   Another point in speakeasy's favor...they did give me an
unlimited dial up account to get me thru the down-time (which started
two weeks ago for me).  Also, when I moaned about the hardware cash
outlay...they gave me a free month to offset some of the cost.  And
finally, they've allowed me to hold off on giving billing info until I
get the hardware, to ensure I don't get charged for anything until I'm
happy I guess.   Come to think of it...I better go make sure I've got
that free month in writing somewhere ;)