[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Matt Kern mattkern at speakeasy.net
Thu Jan 2 16:27:43 EST 2003

cfowler wrote:

>Right now I see 2 options:
>
>Speakeasy and Speedfactory.  The only difference is that Speakeast gives
>us equipment free and not Speedfactory.  Any suggestions on what to do?

I placed an order with speakeasy on Dec 21.  It was supposed to be a
"hot swap" (not that thats technically possible with DSL service anyhow,
but thats another matter altogether).  I still haven't received a loop
install date.  Speakeasy blames it on Covad...said they needed a little
kick to get the order moving.  So far, I'm impressed with the knowledge
of the people on the other end of the phone line, but execution is
SERIOUSLY lacking at the moment.  On top of this, DTV dropped my
connection on the 17th, so I've been in dial-up hell since.

Just to clear up what is being offered at Speakeasy, since several of
the posts thus far have had differing info:
    - 1.5Mbits/128Kbits
    - Unlimited dial up
    - 5 email accounts (and aliases for each if you'd like)
    - 1 static ip (additional ip's up to 5 can be purchased for
$2.95/month).
    - WiFi sharing, home networking and server friendly TOS.
    - No activation charge and $199 rebate on hardware (effectively
zeroing out the cost of the hw).

Also note that DNS is not provided with the package.  They also offer an
RPMfind server dedicated only to subscribers, and given the TOS you
could upgrade to the 1.5/768 package for 99 bucks and share it via wifi
with your neighbors and split the cost.

Now, all that said...I'm not particluarly happy with my run-around in
getting my dsl back online.  So, at this point they're walking a very
fine line, and I may cancel for another subscriber at any time.  Ah,
thats one more negative...a 1 year contract with a $300 cancellation
fee.  From what I've seen on SpeedFactory, its $150 if you cancel.

Outside Speakeasy and SpeedFactory our options suck...HellSouth and
Adelphia ( in my neck 'o the woods).  Though Adelphia is in Chapter 11
protection, they are offering a very attractive price (though in most
cases you get what you pay for, just ask an Adelphia tech what thier
throughput is...they're just powercycle drones).  They're offering their
powerlink cable network and Digital Basic cable tv, along with 14
channels of HBO for 39.95 for the first three months, and 77.95
thereafter.  Tough to pass up, but I've been a customer of theirs in the
past, and have no desire to go back...even at cut rate pricing.

Just my $0.02.

/mk