[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 1 11:34:59 EST 2003

Take a good look around in your attic.  No house uses 100% of the space,
there are likely small dead spaces that you might be able to use as a
drop.  I've got just such a space that is triagular in shape, and runs
from the attic all the way to the basement.  The main difficulty with
such a solution is that often times they'll have a floor at one of the
levels you'd have to get through (extension for a drill bit works fine).

I ran cat5 from the NE side of my basement to the SE side of my house.
It was easy running the basement section through the open floor joists.
  I then drilled into my garage where you I ran the cat5 up the side of
the garage door, over the ceiling and through it to a closet on the top
floor.  From the closet it goes to a 5 port switch which is connected to
my wife's computer in a spare room and to my daughters computer in her
room.  There's about 10ft visible in the garage, but once painted is
sufficiently hidden for a garage.

I believe you can also purchase cat5 that is designed for outdoor use,
I've not noted if mine is or not.  With such, you can go through a wall,
run around the outside of the house and to the pretty much any location.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...