[ale] What are the major/minor #s for sr0 ?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 26 10:37:25 EST 2003

Courtney,

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 08:19, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Also, it does work as scd0, but how is that.... if it is identified as
> sr0 by it's driver, [may be unanswerable due to lack of detail about
> driver function] ?

	Because it's a "special file" ;-).  The name means nothing, except that
some programs expect certain names (e.g. hdparm expects /dev/hdM).
Other than that you *could* rename "scd0" to "BillyBob", though I don't
recommend it ;-).  The major and minor device numbers are what the
kernel uses to determine which driver handles the requests.

	When the drivers init routines are called, they register for the major
devices they "own".  In this case, the scsi subsystem tells the kernel
that it wants the major 11s, and internally to the scsi driver, directs
major 11 requests to its cdrom subsystem.

	Clear as mud?

Danny