[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

Grady Harris gharri2 at emory.edu
Mon Feb 24 16:58:04 EST 2003

"Michael D. Hirsch" wrote:
 > I don't use Lindows, but I'm also in the boat of trying to get a spousal
 > unit onto linux.  In my case, she would be moving from MacOS, so it is not
 > as critical that it imitate Windows, but many of the issues are the same.

The old PC I replaced last week (which prompted my KVM question), I gave to
a poor artist friend who is stuck on Macs, has some three real old ones
salvaged from here & there, but she has no money, so she's stuck, period. I
told her that Unix is Unix, at least the parts that are difficult to
someone who never used it before, & that Linux was something she could
learn on, against the day that she & her husband:
a. have a grand set aside;
b. rent another place with wiring from closer to this century.

I doubt either of those will happen soon, so she'll probably be using Linux
for a while, if it catches her now, during the first couple of weeks. Gave
her a copy of Mandrake 7.? as well, sat back & drank beer w/ her husband
while she did the install. Apart from one bad moment when, as the packages
started to load, the lights started to flicker, the install was a piece of
cake. She starts up The GIMP, says, "Well, that looks familiar."

Don't know how it would work on spouses (spice?), they might be less
tolerant of quasi-flim-flam.

Grady Harris