[ale] null.null.host oddity

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 15 18:15:30 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:
> Geoffrey said:
>
>>I think you misunderstood my post.  I don't see these on my Speedfactory
>> network.  I saw them on someone else's network when I was helping them
>>set up a Linux box.
>

> Sorry, hadn't read your post.  I was replying to Brian, I believe.

Ah, but you mentioned speedfactory which is my isp.  Brian had a yahoo
email address I believe, that's what confused me.

>>Speedfactory has their own dns.  I wouldn't use an ISP that relied on
>>Bellsouth DNS. :)
>

> Ok.
>

>>>Here's my resolv.conf settings...check yours and see:
>>>nameserver 205.152.37.254
>>>nameserver 205.152.0.5
>>
>>No, 66.20234.14 resolves to ns.speedfactory.net

That would be 66.20.234.14....

> Ok.
>

>>Whatever their purpose, the one we saw must have been a windows box, or
>>something running Samba, which I doubt, otherwise it would not have
>>shown up in our efforts.
>

> Regardless, it shows up with Linux commands as well...but from reading
> your post I see you were trying some Samba stuff.

Yeah, I was actually using YAST2 to look for a windows printer, so I'm
assuming that that is all that would be listed, but I could be wrong, as
it is purely an assumption.

> Anyway, I stand by my assertion that BS has their DNS setup to respond in
> this manner to queries against the private address space.  Could be wrong,
> but it makes sense to me.

Agreed.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...