[ale] network problem

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Feb 15 16:59:38 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com said:
> Do you get twice the bandwidth using 2 nics? If so, why don't all
> servers have  2 nics on them? Shouldn't the solution be more common?

Not really, if both of those nics are behind a common bottleneck.  In
other words, if you have two nics behind a common router that connects to
one T1, you're still only getting the capabilities of one T1 shared
between machines.  Now, if you have two nics that each connect to separate
T1's, then of course your bandwidth will be twofold.

> Perhaps the bond0 driver will be able to route the traffic from the
> program  through the two nics and cut the time in half. The bottle neck
> is not at the  internet connection. I can run 3 boxes at full speed.

I doubt it.  Is your app actually through putting greater than 10mbps or
100mbps (depending on your cards and network)?  Maybe so, but I'd be
surprised.  That'd be one hell of a resource-intensive app.

John