[ale] kimset

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 12 20:25:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 19:13, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> You're on shaky ground, and in my not so humble opinion, deserve whatever
> you get. Detecting networks is one thing, perfectly acceptable. Accessing
> them when they're wide open and inviting you in is a grey area. Blatantly
> circumventing access controls, however weak and useless, is a
> crime...period.

So you agree with the DMCA then?  This is a DMCA issue, it says
circumvention (for any reason) is illegal.  I know this is sort of off
topic, but the statement you made has DMCA written all over it.  This is
exactly why the DMCA was written, to allow people to have weak security
and make it possible for them to keep weak security by persecuting
anyone that tries to break it (for any reason).  I believe what he did
is acceptable, assuming he did not do it for any malicious reason.
Please do not add any fuel to the DMCA fire by making statements like
this.

(And yes I am very sensitive to the DMCA, I happen to like hacking
around in hardware I OWN, including my TiVo, to allow me to add features
I would not otherwise have, and to learn how things work in general.)

> --
> Jonathan Rickman
> X Corps Security
> http://www.xcorps.net