[ale] Debian iptables LOG

Subba Rao subba9 at cablespeed.com
Mon Feb 10 07:11:52 EST 2003

Hi

I switched to Debian Distro on one of my system. My iptable rules are in a
script file called "firewall". The rules are activated by simply invoking the
script.  There are no parameters such as "start", "stop", "refresh" etc.
I placed the firewall script in the /etc/init.d directory and executed the
following command:
	update-rc.d -n -f firewall

Debian spews out some link messages (S40firewall, K40firewall......)

iptables -A INPUT -d $INTERNET -j LOG --log-prefix 'Packet dropped: ' --log-level 7

At boot up time the above rule cause the messages is "LOG is not valid
chain". After the startup is complete, if I execute the same script (firewall)
then I do not see this error message.

I am new to Debian.  Please let me know why am I seeing this message.
iptables have been compiled into the kernel.

Thank you in advance.
--
Subba Rao
subba9 at cablespeed.com