[ale] OT: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 7 10:04:18 EST 2003

On Friday 07 February 2003 12:21 am, miguel wrote:
> hello ,
>
> just curious to know which one is more popular?

I think MySQL is more popular based on its speed and the combination of Linux,
Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP). PostgreSQL has more functionality, but MySQL is
catching up. The latest release of MySQL will now do sub-selects and the last
several releases will do transactions. I think you will still need to go to
PostgreSQL if you want stored procedures and support for foreign keys.