[ale] RH7.2--->RH8 upgrade question

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 7 09:50:04 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 11:46:30PM -0500, miguel wrote:
> hello alers,
>
> if i have a machine using an official copy RH7.2 that i paid for, then
> if i upgrade the machine with a downloaded(free) RH8..
> will i loose anything? (my 30 day support has expired already), will
> that screw up my rhn registration ?

>From a legal standpoint, you can download redhat software and install it
on as many machines as you want.  The GPL does not allow any one to
place any additional restrictions on GPL software, so you won't lose any
functionality of the software by not paying for it.  Of course, you
won't get the tech support from RedHat, that's how they make money.

As for the rhn registration, my understanding is that you may register
one machine for free, and upgrades should not affect that.  I've never
used rhn though, so I can't speak definitively.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9