[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Feb 5 11:47:39 EST 2003

On 5 Feb 2003, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> > > Hm, if I follow that logic, wouldn't they be able to leave behind one
> > > main engine or an APU or two?
> >
> > Hmm. Leave behind a main engine and reduce the amount of thrust available
> > to reach orbit. That doesn't sound right.
>
> I think you missed my point.  My point is that the Shuttle has three
> main engines but can make it to orbit on two.  The weight of a third
> engine is deemed worth it in order to have a spare.  Same with the
> APUs.  My point is that you fly the extra weight in order to give your
> self options for the foreseeable as well as the unforeseeable.

Ugh. Maybe? My recollection is that there is a point in liftoff where the
shuttle can achieve a low (but stable) orbit on two engines should the
third fail, but that all three are needed to get off the ground
(admittedly with some thrust to spare to allow for operational variance).
So no, I don't think I missed your point.

If I recall the Roger's Commission after the Challenger loss, there
were/are 70 (or more) single points of failure _known_ for the shuttle
design which would be expected to result in catastrophic loss of the
mission. Apparently, as a physical fact, the shuttle can not fly and carry
enough stuff to cover a fairly large class of options which are already
known.