[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Feb 5 11:42:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 11:02, attriel wrote:
> > Hm, if I follow that logic, wouldn't they be able to leave behind one
> > main engine or an APU or two?
>
> Except that the removal of an engine isn't the same as removal of
> equipment that isn't needed.

Seems you missed the point as well.  The third engine is not a strict
necessity as it is, either.

> > I would also like to know what about this particular mission mandated
> > any particular altitude?  Why NOT make this mission's orbit
> > ISS-rendezvous-friendly?
>
> Er, b/c they weren't GOING to the ISS?  Have you followed that step yet?

Yes, Daddy, I know.  I'm saying that I don't believe that Shuttle
mission contingencies that involve the ISS have been adequately folded
into Shuttle missions that don't otherwise involve the ISS.

> Do you make all trips to the grocery store by way of the hospital "just in
> case" too?  Drive through the gas station and the mechanic's on your way
> to get a quick bite from subway?

Your analogy is at least doubly flawed.  I don't drive to the grocery
store in a vacuum and I don't have to face aluminum-melting heat as I
pull into my driveway.  The risks are higher and the contingency paths
are much, much scarcer.

> They WEREN'T *GOING* to ISS.  Thus, there was no reason to spend the
> additional fuel and change flight parameters in order TO GO to the ISS
> that they WEREN'T GOING TO.
>
> geez.

Please read again and not that I never said that a non-ISS mission
should be flown as though it were one but rather that non-ISS missions
be flown so as to make ISS intercept *possible*, even at the expense of
the entire Orbiter.

Suppose that there was a launch and that damage on takeoff was a LOT
more obvious.  Let's say half of one wing was gone.  The ship made it to
orbit and the crew is safe, but they cannot land in it.  The Screwed/Not
Screwed point then would become "what can we do such that another
Orbiter or re-entry capable craft can get us later?"  If the answer is
"nowhere", then the answer becomes Screwed.

- Jeff