[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Wed Feb 5 11:02:27 EST 2003

> Hm, if I follow that logic, wouldn't they be able to leave behind one
> main engine or an APU or two?

Except that the removal of an engine isn't the same as removal of
equipment that isn't needed.

> I would also like to know what about this particular mission mandated
> any particular altitude?  Why NOT make this mission's orbit
> ISS-rendezvous-friendly?

Er, b/c they weren't GOING to the ISS?  Have you followed that step yet?

Do you make all trips to the grocery store by way of the hospital "just in
case" too?  Drive through the gas station and the mechanic's on your way
to get a quick bite from subway?

They WEREN'T *GOING* to ISS.  Thus, there was no reason to spend the
additional fuel and change flight parameters in order TO GO to the ISS
that they WEREN'T GOING TO.

geez.