[ale] problems with procmail

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 4 13:34:34 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:23:48PM -0600, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> That worked pretty well, but do you know how to make sure that the
> "ChangingLINKS" APPEARS in the field for the email to be accepted?
> Many emails are to a list like "undisclosed" but ChangingLINKS is in the other
> part of the long header.

I'm not exactly sure what you're after.  If you just want to check if
the string ChangingLINKS is in *any* header, a simple

:0:
* ChangingLINKS
goodmail

will catch it, and store the mail in a folder called goodmail.  Put a
bang in front of the C, and you can /dev/null anything that does *not*
have ChangingLINKS in one of the headers.

> Is there way to make this script only scan the fields that the user sees?

No, because what the user sees is defined by the email client, not by
any property of the email itself.  If you know which fields you want to
check (To, Cc, From, etc.) you can put them in the regex though.  The
"TO" string in the regex is a special flag for procmail, that gets
expanded to a much more complicated regex intended to include
destination addresses.  Man procmailrc for more info.

Jason
[snip]

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9