[ale] How to get Unix to KickOff an NT Process

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 4 13:28:24 EST 2003

Joe wrote:
> tfreeman at intel.digichem.net writes:
>

>>Isn't this the type of headache that expect was developed to handle?
>

> Yeah, but Expect only works (well) on Unix boxes. Windows doesn't really
> have anything that acts like a Unix tty, so the Expect port to Windows
> has some weird bugs/misfeatures related to Windows console I/O.

What about uwin on the NT box?  I've not tried this, but here's a little
blurb from the uwin docs:

inet Daemons and commands:
UWIN 3.1 comes with the UCB inet daemon, the telnet daemon, the rlogin
daemon, and the rsh daemon. It also includes the telnet, ftp, rsh, and
rlogin programs. The ssh daemon and program can be built from the source
but is not included because of possible export restrictions.

So, you've got a ssh daemon running.  Telnet if it's a protected
network.  So you run expect on your Linux box, invoking ksh (it comes
with uwin too) via login????

More uwin info:

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net