[ale] WAY OT: Air tools?

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Mon Feb 3 11:31:05 EST 2003

>From: "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net>
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: [ale] WAY OT:  Air tools?
>Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:59:53 -0500
>
>  Got a great deal on a set of air tools recently and I'm looking for some
>more info on usage.  I've got plans for it when I get my house and have
>used them a good bit since I got them but had a wierd stumper Sat.  I
>went to take the tires off my brother in law's car so I could change his
>breaks.  The wrench wouldn't even budge the lugnuts which were removed
>without too much work with a 4x tire iron.  The compressor had plenty of
>preasure and the wrench was hitting just not very hard it seemed, I
>tried the dial on the bottom of the wrench, no change.
>
>  Anyone have a good website on things like how-to's for air tools, etc?
>
>Robert
>  (For those who don't like OT, I'll use the air chissel to cut open
>hard drives on occasion, it's rather fun actually)...

No idea about website but will pass along longtime (decades
of) empirical experience. :)

Except for lug nut/bolt removal, keep that impact wrench
*away* from the wheels, especially if they are alloys.
If you're having trouble with removal using an air impact
wrench, then the lugnuts/bolts are entirely too tight.

This is a *really* bad safety problem.

If you are going to be doing much of any wheel r&r (i.e.  for
rotation & balancing), get a good torque wrench (Sears has one
for about $60) & tighten those nuts/bolts to the proper
specifications, in the proper sequence, & *by hand*.

And, if you get a shop to do this, INSIST that they do the same.
If they can't/won't take your business elsewhere.  No, the
"torque stick" is not as accurate.

Example failure modes from not doing this, all of which
I've personally experienced :( :

1.  Can't remove wheels with car-supplied tools in event of
    a flat, especially in the middle of a rainy night on a
    lonely stretch of road.

2.  Brakes not working correctly due to disc warpage,
    causing "pulsating" & premature pad wear.

3.  Catastrophic lug bolt failure, resulting in wheel
    (literally) flying off whle vehicle is underway.

4.  (Not personally experienced, but advisories warn)
    Alloy wheel breakage, due to uneven stresses induced by
    uneven/improper nut/bolt tightening.  This is generally
    not covered under warranty.

Sorry for the OT-mini-rant-mode.  ;)

-kc