[ale] OT sort of, Need advice on replacing Dell laptop keyboard.

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Wed Dec 31 17:23:58 EST 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 14:56, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude that has a broken keyboard.  I've seen them
> advertised on ebay but I have no idea if it is really replaceable.  The
> last keyboard I took apart wasn't meant to be taken apart without a special
> jig and it was impossible to get back together without that jig.  Imagine
> holding 60+springs down and putting keys on each, aligning said while
> dropping the top on.
>
> Anyway, I digress.  Has anyone attempted to replace a keyboard on a
> Latitude or paid  someone do it?  This is not under maintenance.  Is it
> possible without special tools?

The solution, I *think*, is to replace the whole keyboard.  Just the other day
I had the opportunity to watch a service man replace the touchpad on my Dell
Inspiron.  The keyboard was a complete unit that was unscrewed with a bunch
of screws, and connected by a ribbon cable.  Of course, there were 8-10 other
things that had to be remove before he GOT to the keyboard part. :)

David Corbin <dcorbin at machturtle.com>