[ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Dec 31 09:49:20 EST 2003

<snipped>

> When I showed up, the MOST of the people riding were over 35
> years old,
> overweight, and even balding. There was even a lady in the group.
> However, they all had bikes in the $2000-4000 range. So, I
> thought to myself
> "This will be a great group to ride with until I get my speed up."
>
> To my SURPRISE, I could not keep up with the group! They ALL
> dusted me.
>
> After the ride, they sat and talked in the parking lot
> drinking the BEER that
> they brought in coolers!
>
> --
> Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
> Drew Brown

similar experience several years ago at a dojo.  i was fighting full contact
at the time and doing well physically so I had a decent amount of
confidence.  when i was picked up off the floor by the kind man who had just
delivered the hardest punch I have _ever_ received, he chuckled kindly and
encouraged me to try some different techniques.  I later found that he had
held several breaking records (concrete/granite) and had successfully
competed in Japan for several years (all confirmed).

since that time i have let myself go somewhat and am now in a position to
get back into my old workout routine.  i don't know if i will get back what
i have "lost", but it will be fun trying.  perhaps some day i can be the
balding fat guy that teaches another snot nose a lesson.

preston