[ale] OT: the Penny Black anti-spam proposal

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Dec 27 12:46:17 EST 2003

After looking at other parts of this thread, I drop back here to put my 2
cents in. As such, it isn't truely just a reply.

Many difficulties with the Internet might be addressed with a different
payment approach. Implementing the change now is probably not feasable,
but ...

Charge a flat fee for initiating a connection or sending udp packet in
addition to the monthly fee for establishing a connection between you and
your isp.

The hypothetical results?

Spammers who use their own mail servers increase thier costs up front.

Spammers who parasitize other peoples connections will see their hosts
learn to take better precautions.

p2p music sharing networks will cost their major contributers too much to
participate.

People who allow themselves to be hijacked into a DDOS attack will be
charged for their poor security, providing an incentive to secure
themselves.

Would such a charge structure ever be implemented over the whole internet?
NO. And I probably wouldn't like the situation if the charges were
implemented on me now. Plus such a change could well knock many important
portals off the net.

As such, the Internet as a whole is stuck with devising ways of dealing
with criminal resource wasters (spammers and whom ever you want to add to
the list) from the other end of the pipe. Any such approach is going to be
inelegant and inefficient. Plus, to be even slightly effective, the
approach needs to undercut motives (financial for spammers and con
artists)

Burning spammers at the stake has a certain primitive charm, but still
isn't likely to be effective. Slightly more civilized, but still
ineffective, would be to treat the spammer with their own products until
the products all showed effectiveness.

What is worse, next month I'll probably have to be a spammer for a day -
to announce an award I get to chair next year (the only good part is
giving away the money, the rest is a mild pain). The alternative to spam
is a $600 ad (one time) and/or $600 in direct mailing expenses to announce
this thing. I'll point out that last year the spam approach raked in 12
solid candidates, while the last time the ad approach was used 6 years
ago, there were 2.

And now, for the time being, I will go back to deleting the anoying spam
that has collected in my inbox...