[ale] OT: the Penny Black anti-spam proposal

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Dec 26 21:45:43 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> On Friday 26 December 2003 17:58, Greg wrote:
>
>> Since many spammers just use others pc's I don't think the $/emails
>> would work.
>

> I agree. I don't think the $ for email idea was very well thought out
> - especially from a "getting users to buy this idea" standpoint.

Again, there was no research put to that suggestion.  The $$$ amount
certainly would need some research.

> Plus, aren't we all tired of new laws that hurt the victims more than
> the perpetrators (think Patriot Act et al)?

I didn't say a law.  I'm talking about the isp recouping the costs
associated with spam.

> Personally, I think that the current spam blocking methods are fine.

You're willing to continue to let all that bandwidth be wasted?  It
could be put to such good use.  The solution should be at the other end
of the pipe, not at the receiving end.

> For example, some of my members have email accounts that make me (as
> a human) verify that I sent the email. It is not too much trouble to
> fill out the form. There are other solutions as well (like my
> personal method is just to simply change email addresses after my box
> starts to get overwhelmed by spammers that spider the ALE list).
> Others use spamassasin, etc.

None of these address the wasted resources, which is my primary concern.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net