[ale] OT: HW failure

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Dec 24 11:36:03 EST 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> Calvin Harrigan wrote:
>
> > Funny you should mention that, I've had similar experiences with WD.
> > Returned a 1.6 Gig 6 times!
>
> You guys must have bad Karma or Mojo or something.  I've had one drive
> go bad in all the drives I've ever used. (Maxtor, Western Digital, IBM,
> Seagate...)

Ok, I'm not sure whether I'm jealous of you, or I should be looking to
exchange a slightly used karma for a new one.

I had four drives die within a year (one after another), in one machine. I
didn't worry about guarentees as I was dependent on that machine. Life got
much better (and less expensive!) when I changed the controller along with
the drive.

I'm not an engineer, but I suspect that squirrelly hardware on the other
end of the ribbon cable can encourage a hard drive to self-destruct. I
have to wonder if such a mechanism doesn't explain some of the horror
stories concerning multiple serial drive failures?