[ale] Building linux entertainment devices

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Tue Dec 23 23:09:08 EST 2003

I have had the same thoughts but there once was ZapMedia
here in Atlanta who were attempting to do the same thing.
 (I believe an ale member was involved in this endevor.)

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2002/09/02/story8.html?jst=s_cn_hl

The product you describes sounds like the ZapStation, late
to market and too expensive.

Buying off the shelf components will put you in a price
range far above what the current mass producers can do it
for, custom boards will require heavy staff, time and
startup funds to get a low unit cost down.  By the time
you get the product out the door it's obsolete.

I had the idea for a similar product, did research and
found the ZapStation (Doug's paradox, If Doug has thought
of it then someone else has thought of it).  I wanted a
ZapStation but with $150 DVD players I couldn't spend
$1500 for one.  I settled on a DVD player and a Turtle
Beach Audiotron.  For $300 I couldn't reproduce the
Audiotron for the quality I wanted with off the shelf
components.

I still think there may be a high-end market for such a
multimedia appliance. I may build one yet but I am
currently working on cheaper linux-based appliances for an
identified need I think I can sell.