[ale] OT: HW failure

Frank Z. fzamenski at voyager.net
Tue Dec 23 22:14:30 EST 2003

> Calvin Harrigan wrote:
>
> > Funny you should mention that, I've had similar experiences with WD.
> > Returned a 1.6 Gig 6 times!
>
> You guys must have bad Karma or Mojo or something.  I've had one
drive
> go bad in all the drives I've ever used. (Maxtor, Western Digital,
IBM,
> Seagate...)
>
> Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net

Dunno, but I do admit for a while back then that the thought had
crossed my mind that maybe somehow it *was* me. Until the third time
with that Maxtor failure, and consequently reading other remarks about
them elsewhere -- I wasn't using any of those CHS translation style
utils that faked out limited BIOSs either... erm, I forget now what
they called it, but these were clearly mechanical failures with that
sickening clunk-thunk noise. I do give Maxtor credit (at least, back
then) for a no-hassle return policy. Either they had very good customer
service (then?), or maybe they knew something I did not? Actually,
IIRC, the third time they shipped me a 850MB hd, that's how fast those
things were beginning to increase in capacity. I rarely used it as I
was doing Win (sorry) desktop support then, and the larger 1GB+ drives
started showing up and the used drives from my company would drop into
my lap as they upgraded to 2.1 then 3GB hds, almost exclusively
Seagates. I saw hundreds of those. Funny, the 2.1GB Seagates were very
slow and had THE highest failure rates than the 1.0, 1.6, and 3GB
Seagates combined, that I saw of anyway. I still have a lot of them on
smaller PCs in the house, churning away after four and more yrs of
almost constant use.
-fgz