[ale] OT: HW failure

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 23 21:15:51 EST 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:47:39 -0500
Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> What brand is it?  Usually there are some utilities from maxtor, seagate, and
> wd that can 'restore' your drive by marking/remapping bad sectors.  Search
> the respective websites.  Mind you these utilities as far as I know are for
> IDE drives.  Not sure about scsi.
>

> Calvin...

It is a Samsung SV6003H.  It came with a cheap computer from Ginstar.  I'll search the web for any util.  But since Linux won't even mount it, I'm not sure what good it will do.  I'm guessing the arm inside isn't even working.  Originally, I was unable to boot.  I booted it with a rescue disk but got all kinds of I/O errors.  Now it just clicks.  Oh well, the drive underwent fairly heavy use over the last two years so I'll just move on.  Still seems like you should get more than 2 years service.