[ale] OT: HW failure

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Tue Dec 23 17:15:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 16:45, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jeff Rose wrote:
> > Hello, I recently experienced the sting of hard drive failure.
> > Luckily I noticed the drive making funny noises and was able to back
> > up all my essential data.  I have installed Slackware 9.1 on an older
> > hard drive.  I decided since RH was forcing my hand, I'd try
> > something a little different.  I'm loving Slackware so far.  Very
> > intuitive.  Anyway, the failed hd is recognized by my BIOS but linux
> > is unable to talk to it.  It makes loud clicking noises.  Is there
> > any hope for this thing?  I'm not a hw guy.  I was just hoping to
> > salvage it because it is 60 GB.
>
> I recently went through a similar process.  Downloaded a tool to attempt
> to recover the drive.  It was toast.

I have to believe the drive is toast, but if the data is valuable to you
our company can evaluate how expensive it would be to recover it.

The basic method is to replace your failed parts with good parts, then
retrieve the data.  After the data is retrieved, the old/bad parts go
back into the original drive.  (ie. The good parts are saved for another
day.)

As you can see, this involves technicians time and possibly clean-rooms,
so you have to really want the data.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer