[ale] Strategies for OS code in the Enterprise

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Dec 23 10:15:10 EST 2003

I'm not suer if you can find software that can merge like you want.
Think about it.  When I hand patch stuff I have to do it because my
changes vs the tree are so dramatic.  How can a piece of software
understand changes that include removal of code and addition of new
code.  It would almost have to be able to read the code and understand
what is going on so changes can be merged together.

Lets say a function has be deprecated in DEV that was in STABLE.  You
made major changes to that function and now it is gone.  How is a merge
tool going to know where to place your changes so that DEV now operates
like you programmed STABLE?