[ale] Apache and symbolic links

Yu, Jerry jerry.yu at Voicecom.com
Mon Dec 22 09:40:33 EST 2003

there is a directive to allow/disallow apache to follow symlink. More
importantly, if you have rather restrictive setup to limit access only to
the old document root directory, you may have a problem there too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Armsby John-G16665 [mailto:John.Armsby at motorola.com]
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 5:19 PM
To: 'ale at ale.org'
Subject: [ale] Apache and symbolic links

All,

I have apache 1.3 running.  I want to replace the document root files with
symbolic links pointing to files somewhere else on the server.  It is easy
enough to populate the directory with sym links (ln -s...).  Unfortunately,
apache does not pick up on the link to deliver the file when the hypertext
is selected.  I tested the failure by placeing a real file in the document
root.  The real file works.  Any symbolic link fails.  I know the symbolic
links are good as I can can ls -l symlink_file and get the file statistics.

Is there something in the httpd.conf file I can tweak?

Regards,

John