[ale] Any experience w/D-Link wired DSL routers?

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche dittmeb at mail.rockefeller.edu
Sun Dec 14 13:56:09 EST 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, John Mills wrote:

> ALErs -
>
> My son needs a simple DSL-ethernet firewall/router. It must run PPPoE to
> Mindspring/Earthlink, serve DHCP to a couple of boxes in the house, and
> provide simple firewalling: ACCEPT outgoing and reply, DROP new incoming.
> Zero to minimal software requirements for clients and setup.
>
> Wired router prices seem to be in free-fall this season, with D-Link's
> 4-porter at ~$19.99 ($39.99 - $20.00 [someday] D-Link rebate). I think I
> saw LinkSys at around $50.00 at Radio shack, but I may misremember.
>
> Q1) What is the experience with D-Link, compared with LinkSys and SMC, for
> example?

I have had good luck with these cheap units. I have a Lynksys myself
and I really like it. Easy to use, decent firewall etc. My only complaint
is that if you run services off of it you need to turn of DHCP. This was
poorly documented and very annoying, but once you know to turn of DHCP
(which I don't usually use anyway) all is well.

> Q2) What other low-end units have given folks good service?

NOT BELKIN:

<snippet from another lug...>

Their IP routers are carefully designed to exactly NOT route IP
traffic under certain circumstances. And produce advertising
instead.

    http://tinyurl.com/u4ea

</snippet>

> OT:Q3) On another front, any recommendations where to seek Apple expertise
> (iMac, MacOS, software, problem-solving)?

I don't know how others feel but I would keep it on this list. (Just keep
OT and Apple or Mac OS in the subject) I think there is apple expertise
here, and Apple runs BSD, which is UNIX, so they are our friend.

	bjorn