[ale] Running executable apps on IIS

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Wed Dec 10 14:08:37 EST 2003

> > I am always being hit up by people in the department to put certain
> > programs on the intranet so that everyone can access them.  Some of
> > these are EXEs.  How can I get these to run on the server side?
> >
> > Example: I have a program, PUBLIC.EXE, and I need to create a link to
> > it on the intranet.  I want this program to run on the server, not on
> > the client.

I'm not trying to be bitchy, but isn't there a certain irony to the fact
that an MCSE, posting about running .exes, is asking this question of a
*Linux* mailing list?

That aside - is there a particular reason for needing to run these things
on the server-side?  It seems like it would put the server at risk, and
I'm not sure what it'd accomplish (i.e. if these are Windows applications
that people in the department are used to using, why would they need them
to run from the server, specifically?) .. at any rate, I suppose that with
some apps, depending on their nature, you could write a cgi-type wrapper
for them, or something.. but I'd assume most other apps would need to be
designed for client-server operation, unless you were to provide a remote
connection to them of some kind (X server, VNC, etc.)

--George