[ale] Current Red Hat users - moving on?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue Dec 9 10:02:53 EST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Bob Toxen wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:16:47PM -0500, Yu, Jerry wrote:
> > can u buy one copy of RHEL and install all over places within the company,
> > sorta a site license?

No. Your license is for the software + support. You can't get a license for
just the software. When you buy one license, you agree that RH can audit you
in the future and bill you for any machines which you've installed RHEL on
but haven't subscribed to support.

> Yes, in my professional non-attorney opinion.  It's Open Source RPMs
> that it downloads.  I created a script to then install them on a list
> of other systems via scp.  This was the solution of one of my clients.

No. You just violated your client's license to use RHN unless the systems
you copied to have support contracts. You can do that for RHL, but not for
RHEL.

later,
chris