[ale] [OT] Online Bill Pay

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Sat Dec 6 19:02:33 EST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 07:44:54AM -0500, David Corbin wrote:
> On Friday 05 December 2003 14:07, Bob Toxen wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:27:24PM -0500, David Corbin wrote:
> > > I've seen some threads about this before, so I don't feel too bad about
> > > bringing it up.  I recently started online bill pay with Wachovia +
> > > Quicken.

> > > I found out the hard way, there is no way to find if a payment is sent
> > > electronically or via snailMail (short of speaking with a person), and
> > > there's no way to print out a confirmation of single payment (something
> > > you can show the bill-er as proof).

> > The short answer is that it does not matter how payment is made.  With the
> > S1 Technologies software (used by Wachovia and, until last month, used by
> > RBC Centura), you say what day you want payment to be received by the
> > merchant.  The bank accepts the obligation of sending payment
> > (electronically or via mail) sufficiently early so as to arrive in time.

> That's interesting.  I've used Yahoo bill pay in the past, and they FORCE me
> to enter a date 4 business days in the past.  Wachovia does not, and accepts
                                         ^^^^
                                         ^^^^
					 future?

> a date of "today".  I'm surprised they'd let me say "I want the payment to be
> received today".

> > If the merchant disputes receipt, the bank will (and did either kick their
> > butt or pay any late fee).

> > > Can anyone tell me if other banks/bill pay services have better support
> > > for this?

> > If the bank agrees to make payment by a certain date and a marchant
> > disagrees that it was done, the bank should do the fighting once you tell
> > them.  If you're using Wachovia/First Onion, well, find another bank.  I
> > can highly recommend RBC Centura.

> So, if I understand you correctly, you're not too fond of the S1 software.
You must have misunderstood my post.

I loved the S1 software that Wachovia used (or still uses) and which
RBC Centura used until last month.  In the case where the merchant
(Atlanta Gaslight claimed payment was late), S1 convinced AGL that they
had their head where it was dark and AGL gave me a $25 discount toward
my next bill as an apology!

The current RBC Centura software is missing some nice features of the
older software BUT does have some new features such as being able to
schedule a transfer between accounts for the future and adding all of
my accounts.  It also allows confidential (encrypted) two-way email
between me and customer service, who is very responsive.