[ale] file server partitioning recommendations....

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Dec 3 13:43:11 EST 2003

> I just got my new server in today and am getting ready to install and
> will primarily using this as a samba file/cvs/testing
> internal web server.
>
> The machine has a 3ware raid controller with hardware raid 5
> with a hot
> spare already configured as one big drive (480GB).
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on partition
> structure.  There won't be any user home directories, so I
> don't think I
> need a separate /home filesystem.  Here are my initial thoughts:
>
> /boot 100MB
> swap 2GB (it has 1GB RAM)
> /  4-8GB ???
> /tmp 1GB
> /shares *all the rest*
>

> do I need a separate /usr, /var, /var/log,
> /var/spool....etc...etc....etc?

i would think you would want a seperate /var to handle your log files.  that
way if (for what ever reason) log files start piling up they won't clog up
your / directory.

i also use a seperate /usr directory.

i wouldn't think you would need such a large /boot (you running a couple of
kernels?) or /swap with a gig of ram.  of course you have "plenty" of space
so i wouldn't think it would hurt anything.

more knowledgeable folk will give you better direction (i'm sure) shortly.

preston