[ale] [bob at verysecurelinux.com: Red Hat support stopping]

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Dec 2 02:46:07 EST 2003

This is a reminder that Red Hat has announced that it will stop providing
support -- including security patches -- for Red Hat 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8, 9
after December 31, 2003.  If you have been relying on up2date to
automagically fix any security bugs, this stops at the end of this month.

For one client that uses Linux as a basic web and email server, the best
solution was for us simply to get the patches directly from the Sendmail
and Apache sites, compile, and install.  For another, they pay to license
Red Hat's only supported (and somewhat expensive) "commercial" version
on a single system.  We then use software we have developed to replicate
the RPMs to his other systems -- which is legal to do.  For some other
clients we will be moving them to different Linux Distributions.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"