[ale] AGP Video recommendation...

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon Aug 25 21:17:41 EDT 2003

> In short bring some proof to the table that the ATi cards are easy to use
> in an accelerated mode. I have yet to see any.

1. I posted proof that Nvidia tampered with results MORE awhile ago.
2. You can check the prices of the cards to see ATI is cheaper.
3. The open source drivers I am referring to COME WITH Suse and are configured
using Yast2 and ONLY the mouse. I don't even want to see what drivers are
being used. I just wanted something very easy to configure.
4. Really want proof?:
	a. Buy a
		ATI Radeon RV200 QW (according to Yast2)
		ATI Radeon 7500 128MB DDR by PowerColor (according to the box)
	b. Put it in a Suse box and it will automatically be picked up.
	c. You will have to "enable 3D" only because the default is off.
	d. Return the ATI

You ask for proof as though I live in Atlanta and can just bring my computer
over to your house. With our distance, we have a hard time proving graphic
quality to each other. I did have trouble installing an ATI on one of my
machines - but that was because I elected not to take the time to remove the
Nvidia drivers first.

I realize that you have an attachment to your closed source Nvidia cards. If
you want higher quality at a cheaper price and stable 3D gaming with a more
trustworthy company (note the article that I posted) then switch to ATI.

> > VERY incorrect.
> >
> > ATI has open source drivers that are more stable and faster than Nvidia.
> > Nvidia tampered with benchmarks results.
> > Nvidia has closed source drivers that have have historically been
> > difficult to install. I have used both cards and was able to get the same
> > quality with better speed using ATI cards. For cost, open source drivers,
> > less tampering with results, great quality, speed and stability, go with
> > ATI.
> >
> > Further, (at least with Suse 8.2) installation can be done using ONLY the
> > mouse. (assuming you log in root).
> >
> > Disclaimer: I do not work for or invest in ATI. I have had Nvidia cards
> > for years, and finally did research and testing. I ended up buying
> > 'knockoff brand' ATI cards for all of my computers.
> >
> > Suggestion: Buy both cards, see for yourself, return the Nvidia. :)
> >
> > --
> > Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
> > Drew Brown
> > http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
> >
> > On Monday 25 August 2003 15:41, James Sumners wrote:
> >> I firmly believe that the NVidia cards have the best accelerated
> >> support. ATi cards do extremely well at 2D but when it comes to 3D the
> >> drivers are a real pain to get working properly.

> > --
> > Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
> > Drew Brown
> > http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com