Obtuse code was Re: [ale] Ernie Ball says F.Y.

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 24 12:42:53 EDT 2003

Christopher Ness wrote:
> I wish Freshmeat--or
>
>>somebody--would rate open source programs for complexity of
>>dependencies. A system like:
>>
>>standard Gnome2 + _______________________________
>>standard KDE +    _______________________________
>

> Which standard KDE - its one of the worst! Nothing from previous versions will
> compile on current versions and warning will say "version 2.2 or better" and
> not work on 2.2.1.

I have to disagree on this. With KDE3, if you install compatible
versions of QT, arts, kdebase and kdelibs, you should be able to compile
and run any KDE3 program. With Gnome, you never know when you're going
to have to add a new package--or another 5 new ones--to get a single new
program to run. Look at the way Gnome's released and then look at the
way KDE's released. KDE puts everything needed in to the four packages I
mention above (although the idiots at RedHat break these down into lots
of smaller packages). Also, I'm still looking forward to the day I can
delete all Gnome 1.2 packages and forget about it. But that day doesn't
seem to be coming anytime soon. Whenever I go to delete them, I find
about a dozen programs that still depend on them. And this after
converting Gimp and Mozilla to Gnome 2. Look on Freshmeat and you still
find dozens of programs built against the old Gnome libs, including
GnuCash, which is one of the few Gnome programs I consider to be
essential and best of breed. Anybody serious about KDE converted
completely to KDE3 a long time ago.