[ale] Acceptance of Linux on the desktop

Christopher Ness mness215 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 24 11:59:47 EDT 2003

On Saturday 23 August 2003 03:11 pm, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2003 14:40, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> > I would possit that the single greatest bar to a
> > more general acceptance of Linux on the desktop is
> > the lack of manufacturer-supplied drivers.
>
> I disagree. Here's why.
> I would argue that hardware  support was worse then for NT than it is for
Linux now.

Put XP right in there too. (even if it is NT at heart, it is the one all the
Wintrolls brag on). When I gave up on ME and put XP on, I had to replace
almost all of my peripherals and  _buy_  upgrades on any program I cared
about. All totalled, over a thousand samolians just so I didn't have to keep
fighting with what was unquestionably the worst OS that M$ ever came up with.
And when I complained on a newsgroup, the Wintrolls told me I was just being
cheep and whining.

--
Chris Ness
mailto:cnessatearthlinkdotnet               All jobs are equally easy to