[ale] NVidia Driver Install - SuSE (mismatched compiler)

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 15 11:43:10 EDT 2003

Hey all,

   I'm trying to install the NVidia drivers in SuSE. Went to the NVidia site
and downloaded the current drivers. Entered init 3 to jump out of X and
compile the drivers. Didn't have the kernel source, so grabbed the source.

   I get the following error message when running the NVidia driver install
program:

---cut stuff off
You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with
   a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
   the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
   are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
   system crashes.

   If you know what you are doing and want to override this
   check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.

   In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the
   name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

   *** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***
   make: *** [gcc-check] Error 1
---

   Any idea how to get around the problem? I don't know how to set the CC
environment variable, don't know the name of the compiler used to compile my
kernel (using a "straight" kernel from SuSE). Don't know how to set
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.
Thanks - Bruce