[ale] Debian install - sanity check

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 14 12:09:42 EDT 2003

Hey all,

   I swore after my last system messup (totally my fault, new user - installing and updating before reading all docs) - I would try a different distribution out. Well, I hosed my Mandrake install again. This time by installing a new kernel and making a few minor irritations. It runs, samba is working, so are all apps - but MCC is hosed.

   So rather than doing yet another 'Drake install, I figured I'd try something new and learn new things. I still have a few fallbacks. Mandrake 9.1 boots and works, mostly. WinME dual-boot works. Knoppix CD works. And so does SuSE LiveEval CD. But I'd like to try Debian.

   From reading the docs, it looks like I need CD1 for an install CD, and CD5 bf2.4. I have a USB attached keyboard and mouse, and a Netgear FA311 Ethernet adapter that works using NatSemi DP83815 drivers.

   Am I reading this right? Download CD's 1 and 5? I have USB keyboard support enabled in BIOS, so Vanilla might do the trick (if not, I have a spare PS/2 keyboard and mouse). Do I need the rest of the CD's, or just the start up CD1 and the "flavor" CD - either Vanilla (CD2) or bf2.4 Experimental (CD5)?

Thanks for any help - Bruce