[ale] KDE problems Rehat 9.0 upgrade

Matthew Magee mnmagee at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 11:56:34 EDT 2003

Hi folks!

I upgraded from RedHat 8.0 to 9.0 this morning, and
have run into a little problem.  When I try to start a KDE session I
get:

rm: cannot remove '.' or '..'
rm: cannot remove '.' or '..'
startkde  starting up
/usr/bin/startkde: line 227: 1147 segmentation
fault    ksplash
/usr/bin/startkde: line 231: 1148 semnetation
fault  LB_BIND.NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify
startkde could not start kdeinit check your
configuration
warning: connect () failed: no such file or
directory
/usr.bin/startkde: line 248: 1150 segmentation
fault kwrapper kmserve $KDE_WM
startkde: shutting down
warning: connect () failed: no such file or
directory
error  can't contact kdeinit
startkde: running shutdown scripts
startkde: done

I wrote down the output quickly, so I am sure I
didn't get all the spaces and caps exactly right.

This affects all users.  Gnome works, but I
can't use any of my favorite KDE apps. :(

Has anyone encountered this, or point me in the
right direction?

I am not really in the mood to reinstall, but I
always did before, and have had no problems.