[ale] Re: [ale-admin] Offer to host meetings

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Aug 12 21:11:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:01:22PM -0400 tfreeman at intel.digichem.net <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> IIRC, ALS grew to a size where the volunteers couldn't handle the job and
> pay their bills, much less have a life. Hence selling out to a larger
> organization with professional staff. Didn't work.
>
> It is possible to put on a major show with almost exclusively volunteer
> labor, check out PitCon next time it comes to Atlanta for an example.
>
> IMHO, IF ALE wants to sponsor/resume ALS, and want to be more than an
> install-fest, get some sponsor's lined up who will contribute employee
> time.

Or, we could set our sites a little lower and just try setting up
a regular install-fest.  Sort of an All-Ale install-fest.  See
who shows up to support the thing and develop a core group of
volunteers.  If this could develop into a steady, easy-to-manage
affair that wouldn't sap the life out of any group of volunteers,
that would be a sign that we were organized enough to look at
sponsoring an ALS.  I think the last group had to move on and
couldn't keep giving up that much of their time.

Some other LUGs keep recylcling leadership and organizational
talent.  A steady crop of newer users gets initiated into the
group by handling responsibility, and older users get moved into
more of an advisory capacity.  Hopefully no one gets burned out
that way, and you develop a pool of talent you can call on when
required.  I think there are enough newer Linux users that
something like this could actually work.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net