[ale] Multiple NICs smae subnet

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Aug 12 15:41:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:33:33PM -0600, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Christopher Fowler wrote:
>
> > Right.  I assumed that if the NIC is unplugged from the network I could
> > not be able to ping that address.  That was not the case.
>
> That's expected behavior. Think about it this way:
>
> IP addresses go to hosts, not to interfaces.

That is what I assumed.  Some years back I went to see a computer area of a
company (name witheld).  Someone told them that they needed to break
up POP3, SMTP, NNTP, and HTTP into seperate servers with serperate IP
addresses.  Well they purchased one server with raid and 4 network
cards.  This server ran NT.  I guess they thought that they would be too much
network load on each interface and cpu or I/O bound processes.